Wednesday, June 5, 2019

Wimple Wednesday: Mid-Late16th Century Coif and Forehead Cloth

Brimmed Elizabethan coif with forehead cloth The Tudor Tailor. As previously noted, the sewn construction may be anachronistic. It is a fun shape, though.

The coif has a fun, pointy brim.
I'm just sad thinking about the June Rebellion.

I made this up in lightweight linen (Fabric-Store.com's 3.5 oz stuff), double layer construction, but without wiring the brim. As with the Henrician coif, I decided to see how it would hold up without the wire, and add it later if needed. I used a mid-weight linen on the first one, so it really doesn't need the extra structure; this one, being lighter, could use it, but a good ironing also works.



1 comment:

  1. The pointy side flaps are different, but I like them. The huge variety in styles of coifs and caps through the centuries, never ceases to amaze me.
    I am still trying to figure out how I could pull one off in my everyday life, but I get enough questions about whether I am Amish, as it is.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!