Tuesday, June 4, 2019

Green Gown, 16th century

Another long-time project finally complete. Basic gown, from The Tudor Tailor, with wide turn-back sleeves, side-front (pinned) closure, and rectangular skirt panels.  The bodice is lined with canvas; the dress is completely hand-sewn.


Long sleeved green linen dress, with side front closure and floor-length skirt.
Dress form is still sort of wonky.
And a kirtle and/or petticoat would help.

I'm going to see how the hemmed sleeve turn-backs work out, but I am inclined add a facing there.

Further reading suggests that I should have made this in wool, and I'll keep that in mind for the future. This linen, however, is such a delightfully horrid shade of green, that I think I'll simply have to wear it anyway. Says a reliable judge of matters sartorial and gallinaceous: "That goose-turd green is straight out of a Bruegel painting".


1 comment:

  1. Hi Beth,

    We are StudioEis - a sculpture studio located in Brooklyn, NY. We would love it if you could email us at the email below for an upcoming project. Thank you!

    Caroline@studioeis.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!