Wednesday, May 29, 2019

Wimple Wednesday: Brimmed Coif, 2nd Quarter of the 16th Century

Aka, the Henrician Coif from The Tudor Tailor.

The author, in profile, wearing a white linen coif whih is gathered at the back and has a squared-off brim.
A very serviceable item. Until my coil comes unpinned,
at while point it tends to take the coif with it.


New research has suggested that this cut-and-sewn construction may be a modern re-interpretation of a one-piece coif that's meant to be tied over the hair. I'll be experimenting with that approach in a few weeks, when I attempt to duplicate an original 1590s coif from Patterns of Fashion 4.  [The one-piece construction does feature in The Tudor Child for a girl's coif, and I'm quite eager to see if any show up in the forthcoming Typical Tudor.]

2 comments:

  1. This maybe my favorite coif yet. I think if I could get away with it, I would wear a cap or coif like that every day. However, they would look kind of strange with my 21st Century style. I need to invent the modern coif. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like wearing it, and have been tempted to bring the fashion back. But wait until you see the brim on next week's!

      Delete

Thanks for commenting!