Sunday, December 26, 2021

1780s Stays

For the second day of Christmas: the stays I cut out a year ago last April. I actually finished binding them over the summer, but never managed to photograph the finished garment. The chamois leather was much easier to sew than any other sort I've work with; I ended up using a regular sharp needle rather than a leather needle, and it didn't have any sticking trouble. 

Finished Stays


I realized after I'd committed to the style that the shoulder straps really shouldn't have been bound. I also watched a couple of Luca's videos on original 18th century stays (via Foundations Revealed) while doing said binding, and now want to completely re-make these stays, with slightly different grainlines on the pieces.


Underarm guards are based on several examples in PoF 5


Easing the leather around the curves got easier as I worked, but it was still annoying, and there are several points I've less than pleased with--but I can live with that as an alternative to re-doing the binding.

Still rather pleased with the eyelets, if not the tab binding.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!