Monday, December 27, 2021

Striped Skirt, c.1933

I started getting interested in 20th century vintage sewing last summer, but for various reasons haven't been able to post most of the resulting garments. This c.1933 skirt is the first one ready to photograph. 


'Tis stripey.


The underlying shape is very simple: four skirt pieces, each tapered toward the waist, and a two-piece shaped waistband/belt. I ended up adding a few small pleats to make the fabric drape better on me. This skirt is certainly comfortable, but I'm not particularly happy with the shaped waistband. It was weirdly difficult to fit: I cut out a mockup to my measurements with suitable ease, then took it in and reshaped the back seam to fit, cut the revised pattern in the fashion fabric...and had to take it in twice more. I used bound buttonholes instead of overstitching them, which was a first. I like the neat welted-esque finish (and the speed) of the bound holes, but trimming them is finicky.

I got a length of wool to make a second one of these, but honestly can't decide if I should follow the pattern exactly, or opt for a narrower waistband, or save the fabric for a different maxi-skirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!