Friday, December 31, 2021

Revisiting Resolutions

New Year's Eve, the day on which I traditionally assess my previous year's costuming to-do list and reflect on how it went. This was probably my least productive costuming year yet, worse than 2020 somehow, but let's see how it adds up:

1850sSort undergarments: repair, replace and add laundry markings. The goal is to have:
  • 4 Chemises (3 plain, optional 4th embellished) Nope. I think I have two that are wearable, and both are more hole than whole.
  • 4 Pairs Drawers, ditto I have three in "wearable but embarrassing" condition
  • 1 corded petticoat, 1 quilted These are still functional at least.
  • 3 white cotton petticoats (plain or embellished) Technically, but only 1 I like.
  • Corset  Actually made this one. It's comfy, though I think I could get better shaping.
  • 4 pairs cotton stockings Some number, but I need to dispose of the worn-out pairs.
  • All silk and wool stockings in good order. Wool, yes. Some of the silk need to be altered.
Clean and repair outer garments and gowns. The goal is to have:
  • 1 work dress and 1 nice dress for cold weather. Work needed.
  • 1 work dress and 1 nice dress for warm weather. Time to plan some new gowns...
  • Cold and warm weather bonnets, both working and 'nice' versions. Better on the cold than warm...
  • Winter coat Procured supplies and cut it out at least.
  • Warm-weather wrap Pattern acquired.
  • Two aprons Technically, though one's more of a "fine accessory".
  • Fine accessories suited to the nice dresses Made a two caps (1856 Morning Cap
    1858 Spotted Muslin Morning Cap), but not the undersleeves and collars I'd intended.

1860s 

Underwear and work clothes as for 1850s. Yeah...

 Hoops fixed up neatly. Nope.

 Sort out bonnets and remake or discard the unusable ones. I should do that one of these days 

Have at least one fashionable early 1860s ensemble assembled. Rather the opposite, I fear.
 

16th century 

Make one more smock (plain or embellished). Nope.

New kirtle. Still waiting on my pre-order of The Typical Tudor.

 Finish the round gown. Mocked-up, but waiting on the kirtle to fit it properly. 

Fit waistcoat better. Also waiting on the kirtle. 

Make a jacket or cassock as an extra outerwear option. Actually a coat, but I did this one! 

Sort out headgear, personal linens. I could get started, but again am waiting on the new book. 

Hem sheets for camping. More linen acquired!
 

18th century

Finish 1780s stays. Actually did this one. And then didn't post it for 5 months. 

Make a pocket. Good idea. 

Make one gown. Also a good idea. 

Make pads to try the hairstyles from the American Duchess book. Materials procured. 

[Maybe make a peignoir for the hairdressing because it'd be fun...] I cut it out, and started piecing it. Miles of ruffle to hem.


Other

Replace Regency/Empire/whatever-you-call-the-high-waisted-early-19th-century-sihlouette petticoat Still need to do. 

Finish the red print Empire gown. Sleeve gusset issues, but this one's been sitting at 90% since late 2019. 

Cotton spencer. Need to get gowns sorted out first. 

Draft pelisse (the one with the greatcoat-style capes). After I work out the spencer fitting issues. 

1870s spoon-busk corset from my custom pattern. Maybe this year? I finally may have some 1870s events on the horizon.

 1900s corset from my custom pattern. It would be nice to get that railway costume started... 

Start on undergarments for early 1900s traveling suit. After the corset.

 Linen tablecloth. Did this one! Never posted it, since it was just some simple hemming. 

 

Draft folder below 50 by the end of the year, particularly finishing the hairdressing posts. Currently at 87, after going back over 100 earlier this year.  

 
Other Completed Projects: 

Hand-plaited Straw Hat 

Straw Ornaments c.1850s 

1930s Silk Slip

 1933 Striped Skirt 

1956 Zigzag cotton dress

 1956 Green silk dress with bolero 

Yoga Pants

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!