Saturday, December 10, 2022

Molasses Gingerbread, 1798

Revisiting this receipt from Amelia Simmon's American Cookery (1798, 2nd ed) which I originally tried in the third season of the Historical Food Fortnightly.

Upside: I finally have pearlash to experiment with. 

Downside: I miscalculated the amount of molasses, and ended up substituting in honey for about half of the volume. I also managed to put in only half the required butter.

Neutral: On my second time making this dish, I finally realized that there's no ginger in the receipt.

Mixed together 2 lb (~7 cups) all-purpose flour, 1 Tbsp cinnamon, and 2 tsp cardamon, cut in 2 oz unsalted butter (should have been 4 oz), then stirred in about a pint of combined molasses and honey, and finally 8 oz of cold water with 4 teaspoons of pearlash dissolved therein. I mixed this into a sticky dough with a stand mixer (which was basically at capacity), then worked the dough by hand to incorporate the last of the dry ingredients. I pressed this dough into a 9"x13" glass sheet-cake pan (buttered), and baked it for 30 minutes at 350F. 

The gingerbread had a perfectly decent texture; the tops were pretty ragged, which made me second-guess whether the dough was too dry. I definitely could taste the honey, which was fine, but just not quite how it's supposed to be.  All in all, this is a perfectly serviceable gingerbread receipt, and relatively quick and easy. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!