Wednesday, January 6, 2021

Twelfth Cake in Miniature

 

Having no one to share with this year, it's time to greatly scale down the 1857 Twelfth Cake I've made the last two years. At 1/8 scale, that's 2 eggs, 4 oz butter, 2 oz sugar, 4 oz flour, 8 oz currants, 1 oz almonds, 2 oz candied peel, 2 Tbsp brandy, 1/4 tsp of nutmeg, 3/4 tsp allspice, 3/8 tsp each mace, coriander, ginger, and cinnamon. 

The spices being given in ounces originally, I used the 4 Tbsp = 1 oz approximation for ground spices (and 1 nutmeg = 2 tsp ground nutmeg, since I haven't been to a store with bulk nutmegs in 10 months). As always, for the brandy, 1 gill = 1/2 cup = 4 fl oz = 8 Tbsp.


At this angle, it almost looks like a cake.

I used my smallest springform pan, which gave a cake 1" thick and neatly sized for a dinner plate. The last of the yuletide almond paste provided the decoration, on top of my usual almond-vanilla buttercream icing.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!