Sunday, January 5, 2020

Twelfth Cake

A piece of cake on a pink transferware plate in front of a cake stand holding one quarter of the same cake. The cake is about 4 inches tall and filled with raisins; it has white icing.
One of these years I'll remember to photograph
the cake before serving it.

Revisiting the 1857 Twelfth Cake receipt this year. I went up to a half-batch this time (skimping 2 oz out of the 2 lbs of currants and 2/3 the mace, because I ran out). The batter quite overwhelmed my mixer, especially when I got to adding the currants--but did fill the cake hoop nicely. As before, the half pound of candied peel is a mixture of orange and lemon, and I skipped the citron. The big change is that I tried using gluten-free 1:1 flour subsitute, since I already know this recipe works and have successfully used the subsitute in modern cakes (just not ones with this much fruit).

Consensus is that the gf flour substitute worked just fine.  Even with the increased volume, the cake baked in just over 2 hours at 325F (with 4 layers of paper below and two above and on the sides).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!