Tuesday, November 27, 2018

Fringed Shawl

Fringed Wool Shawl, 1850s reproduction outerwear
A Nice Plaid Wool Twill.

Catching up (again) on blogging my recent projects. With the wet/cool weather firmly established, warm outerwear is in order. 

First off: a simple fringed shawl, based on Liz Clark's instructions. I appreciate the neat finish of the fringe, and how it doesn't add any extra bulk or lumpiness to the finished garment--on another project, I found that this fabric is just thick enough to make awkwardly bulky hems. That being said, the single layer is pleasantly warm while being fairly light (it's slightly heavier than my tropical-weight wool yardage, but not truly a mid-weight). The twill fabric fringes about as easily as the plain-woven wools I've used before, and seems no more inclined to ravel once fringed. The shawl is square, 1.5 yards on the side (including fringe), making a capacious cover when folded diagonally.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!