Tuesday, January 31, 2023

January Mending

This is probably not of interest to anyone else, but I have a resolution to keep re: maintaining my living history clothes, and posting is an easy way to cajole myself into actually doing a little repair work each month. 

For January, that was mostly my 1850s petticoats: my plaid petticoat got some simple tapes ties as a fastener to replace the hooks that came off (and provide some more flexibility in fitting). The quilted petticoat needed three small repairs where the stitching came loose at the waist, hem, and placket. I also have worked on re-setting my corded petticoat onto a new waistband, though the stroked gathers are taking a while, so it's not done yet. With the current weather, I should be fine so long as it's done before April.

Close up of the waistband on a quilted petticoat. One of the pleats has become detached from the waistband. The waistband and binding are dark green, the skirt is a bright pink and green print, and the skirt fastens with white ties at the waist.
About 2.5" of the striped fabric came off the waistband.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!