Thursday, April 16, 2020

HFF 4.8: Egg-actly What You'd Expect

[Mea culpa. I made this on Easter and started writing it up, but computer problems have prevented me from posting.]



The Challenge: Egg-actly What You'd Expect. Make something with some connection/resemblance to eggs. Clever egg substitutes also accepted!

The Recipe: Eggs, hashed from The Lady's Assistant for Regulating and Supplying her Table

The Date/Year and Region: 1787 (6th ed.)

How Did You Make It: I started, earlier this week, by making a stock out of leftover pork bones and vegetable bits. Yesterday,  I wanted to dye eggs, so I hard-boiled two eggs with onion peels in the water.

A medieval style bowl with two red-brown dyed eggs.
Not the most exciting color for eggs, but I like them.

So, this morning, there wasn't all that much to do. I browned half a large onion in some butter, while heating up a bit of the stock with 1 Tbsp of butter and small handful of flour. While the onions cooked and the gravy thickened, I peeled and sliced the eggs, and chopped up some parsley. I added the eggs, parsley and gravy to the onions, flavored with salt and pepper, and was done.


A purple transferware plate containing a hash of sliced hard-boiled eggs, fried onions, and a pale brown gravy.
Egg Hash, 1787

Time to Complete: About 15 minutes The eggs boiled and onions cooked while I mixed up the gravy (the stock being pre-made and the eggs boiled).

Total Cost: Less than $1 for 2 eggs and half an onion.

How Successful Was It?:   Very tasty. I fried some potatoes to go with the gravy and onions, and it was a good addition. I think this will become a staple of my period repertoire, and possibly my modern breakfast options, as well. It was fast, tasty, and can be somewhat prepared in advance.

How Accurate Is It?:  I used an 1861 gravy recipe, to be fair, but fairly accurate I think.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!