Wednesday, March 18, 2020

HFF 4.6: Erin Go Bragh!



The Challenge: Erin Go Bragh! Make a dish associated with Ireland or St. Patrick's Day (the connection may be as tenuous as you wish).

The Recipe: An Irish Cordial from Sarah J. Hale's The New Household Receipt Book

The Date/Year and Region: 1853 / New York (claims the recipe is Irish)

How Did You Make It: I started by scalding my "yellowware" pitcher. Once dry, I put 2 oz of currants, 1/8 of a lemon peel, 3/16 tsp ground ginger, and 1/2 cup whiskey in the jar pitcher [working on 1/8 scale]. I covered the pitcher and let it sit for a day, then strained off the fruit, stirred in (with difficulty) 2.5 oz of sugar, and strained it again.

Time to Complete: 1 day (actual work < 10 minutes)

Total Cost: Varies with the whiskey. 

How Successful Was It?: Tasty, but very thick (syrupy). The sugar and fruit makes it really smooth, with a bit of a burn from the whiskey afterwards. I like the taste, but the texture is a bit much.

Incidentally, mixed 1:1 with hot water, it makes a delightful drink. Hot, sweet, fruity, and alcoholic, very reminiscent of my favorite hot toddy recipe.  

How Accurate Is It?: I wonder if cordials are meant to be sipped in this period, or if they're supposed to be mixed with something. I could see this being really tasty added to hot water, wine, etc., for the flavor and kick, even as the thick sugary cordial is a bit much on its own. 

I interpreted the 'well pounded ginger' to mean ground dried ginger rather than fresh (though I have plenty of fresh and was tempted to go that route). The original receipt called for white currants, for which I substituted zante currangs (as usual). I did find another receipt which called for raisins instead of currants (also seville orange peel instead of lemon, and considerably more spice), so hopefully my substitution of zante currants for white currants is acceptable.

A striped ceramic picture next to a bowl containing dried currants, lemon peel, ground ginger; behind them a bottle of Jameson's whiskey.
The ingredients assembled.

Old fashioned cordial glass full of a dark amber-colored liquid.
An Irish Cordial (1853)




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!