Thursday, December 12, 2019

Quilted Silk Hood

Silk hood.

From Anna Bauersmith's quilted hood pattern. It only took three years for me to get started, after which it went together very quickly. The hand-quilting took a single weekend event, and the pieces went together in only a few more hours work. Using a machine it could go even faster.


Quilted pieces.

I used a silk exterior, polished cotton to line, and a single layer of wool quilt batting inside. The garment is hand-quilted, using one of the sample designs included in the pattern. The ties are self-fabric, with a rolled hem. Trimmed with white rabbit fur, to match my winter cuffs. I considered adding a narrow trim along the bavolet, but didn't like how it detracted from the quilting (I rather like how it turned out there).

Fur was mentioned as a trim option in the pattern, but my searches didn't reveal many antique examples to use as inspiration. I did find a written reference to a silk hood with chinchilla fur.

I found this hood comfortable to wear, and it kept the water off without crushing my hair. It was a little less warm than previous hoods I've made, as it didn't sit so close to the face. All in all, I am very satisfied with it.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting about using my pattern. I am glad you found it easy.

    I love the pale pink silk you used. It has the subtle hint of color I am finding in a portion of original hoods.

    In the time since writing this pattern, I've collected and handled maany more original hoods. I am currently estimating wool trim to have been on less than 10% of hoods. While originals can be found with fur still attached I am beginning to suspect fur trim, while warm, was not practical in all weather. This is something I am looking further into as part of a larger research and experiment project.
    I would be very curious how you find your fur selection behaves in fluffy, dry snow verses wet, sticky snow. I very much like the selection with the pink silk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, I'm in a climate where any snow is rare, but if I encounter any, I'll certainly try it out. There's no shortage of rain, though! The hood held up well to sporadic showers on its first day out, including the rabbit fur.

      Delete

Thanks for commenting!