Monday, December 30, 2019

Knitting Apron, 1860

Finally finished the knitting apron from Peterson's May 1860--the one which has been haunting my to do pile at 70% compete for three and a half years.

The ground fabric is a sheer white cotton with a windowpane design woven into it; the ribbons are light weight silk 'tafetta'. All hand-sewn.

Knitting Apron in sheer white cotton with silk trim.
From Peterson's Magazine, 1860.

If re-commencing this project, I'd probably use a sheer with more body or even make it up in a moderate weight silk. I'd also do the self-trim in the (now, to me) straightforward way instead of installing it in the weird-backwards-mess-way that delayed this apron so long (I have some questions for past me).

Other than the fabric drape, my main concern is the pocket shape: they are extremely wide and shallow, which seems a recipe for spilled yarn. I already tacked the top center of each to keep the pockets from gaping, though I don't expect those stitches to hold (and rather hope they give rather than let the fabric tear).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!