Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Swiss Dot Undersleeves

As all of my undersleeves were caught up in last weekend's general absence-of-undergarments, my other fast weekend project was a new pair.

Spotted Muslin Undersleeves

The sleeves have a hemmed upper edge (pinned or basted to dress when worn), and are gathered into plain 1.25" wide cuffs. They fasten with a single mother-of-pearl button and a thread loop.  The long seam is machine-run but felled by hand, with the rest hand-stitched.

Due to the short notice, I used some dotted Swiss left over from my white basque ensemble. While I have not see any extent undersleeves in that material, it was the finest cotton I had on hand; my research so far shows net and fine cotton fabrics as the most common materials for undersleeves.
I have since located some examples of dotted/spotted muslin undersleeves in the period fashion magazines, including Godey's April 1859 and August 1854, Peterson's February 1858, and Arthur's Home Magazine October 1858. They are making me think my next pair of dotted Swiss sleeves should have puffs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!