Wednesday, June 27, 2018

Linen Apron, 16th Century

An now, the underwhelming conclusion of the great apron image compendium.

Linen apron, 16th century (Tudor) reproduction.
One rather wrinkled apron.

It's a square of linen (scraps from my last smock), hemmed all around, and attached straight to a tape waistband. I didn't have any linen tape, and so wove some of the band loom (rigid heddle). I then, of course, didn't want to cut said tape, so I left it as a complete waistband instead of cutting it in half to make two ties.  To show some of the fun styling I found, I did not secure the corners of the cloth to the band.

Linen tape woven on a medieval-style band loom.
Linen is fun to weave on the band loom.


The next apron I make will be longer, and (if white linen) will probably be gathered into a fabric waistband. Or maybe I'll go for a green linen apron with a cord/tape waist and dangling corners.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!