Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Sunbonnet (take 6?)

Getting back into sewing with graduation presents for some of the awesome living history people I know. First off, a slate sunbonnet from Liz's first pattern. I've sewn it before in children's sizes, as wool hoods, and even for a doll, but this was my first time actually making it up as an adult-sized bonnet. I omitted the optional front ties, as I rarely use the ones on my own sunbonnets, but will add them if the recipient so desires. The material is "Leaf Duo" (cinnamon/parchment) from Jo Morton's "Gratitude" line for Moda.  It's all hand-sewn, and took much less time than I expected.  The slats are double-layers of non-corrugated board.
Sun bonnet from Sewing Academy free pattern; reproduction striped leaf "gratitude" fabric.
Sunbonnet.
The crown depth looks more proportionate when it's not flat.

Flat view of slate sunbonnet, made from the Sewing Academy free pattern.
Hemming the curved edge was actually pretty relaxing.
The stripes provided guidance for the slat channels.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!