Friday, June 22, 2018

Godey's July '63

My other project for last weekend's reenactment was the latest issue of Godey's, July 1863.*

The cover could have printed darker.

But I'm 87% pleased with how the fashion plate turned out.
I printed the pages in 16-page sets as two-sided "pamphlets", then sewed each together. The pamphlets and folded fashion plate were then glued into the spine of the cover.  I used 8.5" x 11" letter paper due to its availability, with the result that the final magazine is slightly smaller than the originals, which would requires 10" x 13" sheets.  Whether or not I can find large paper to print on, next time I'll try sewing the pamphlets differently, for a flatter product and tighter spine.  On the upsides, this one was legible, and provided appropriate conversational fodder for the weekend. It also is closer to the originals than any re-print I've so-far found offered (at least in terms of being sewn rather than stapled, and having the colored plate at the beginning).  I did end up omitting the title page for the half-yearly volume due to how the page numbers were working out.  I think it would have been neat to include it--showing how the individual issues could be collected and bound into a volume--but wasn't able to make it work this time around.  Next time!


*Which was probably showing up in most US homes sometime in mid-late June, based on the research in this Sewing Academy thread.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!