Thursday, June 21, 2018

Linen Over-Sleeves

And the final graduation sewing project, a pair of linen over-sleeves ("sleeve protectors") for a very promising young scholar of my acquaintance.

This is the second set I've made based on Carolann's description of an original pair in her collection. Those are checked cotton, but I opted to use a natural-colored linen for these: my own reading kept bringing up period references to "grey" oversleeves or ones of "brown holland."  [This linen was congruent with Textiles in America's description of holland as a closely-woven linen, but does not have the gloss described by Jessamyn, which is something I would like to experiment with in the future.]

The over-sleeves are entirely hand-sewn, with four china buttons, and cotton twill tape for the drawstring.  They also used 5.75 button holes, due to a series of minor mishaps.

Over-sleeve or sleeve protector of linen, Victorian 19th century reproduction.
Natural linen undersleeves.
Once again, linen proved a very pleasant material to run-and-fell by hand.  May it give me courage for the Tudor sewing ahead.

3 comments:

  1. Very Nice! When would such over-sleeves be worn?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, duh! I answered my own question! Over on Sewing Academy following your link...Down the rabbit hole of sleeve protectors now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Research holes are where I find all my favorite projects! The short answer, as you've found, is when writing with ink (and in certain other occupations where one needs to look presentable while keeping grime off the lower sleeves).

      Delete

Thanks for commenting!