Sunday, September 17, 2023

HFF 6.15: Travelling Food

 

Detail from an 1850s painting with a woman's hands gesturing over a table of food.

The Challenge: Traveling Food. Make a food associated with travel, or something convenient to eat on the go.

The Recipe: Stuffed Eggs (a picnic dish) from Six Little Cooks

The Date/Year and Region: 1891,Chicago
 
How Did You Make It: As directed. I boiled 3 eggs for 15 minutes (well, 4, but one broke). The eggs went into some cold water, so that the shells would come off easily. After peeling the three eggs, I cut them each in half, removed the yolks, and beat the yolks with a spoon. To this mashed yolks, I added 1/8 tsp ground mustard, 1/8 tsp black pepper, and 1/4 tsp salt. [This was a mistake: too much salt.] I then packed the yolk-mixture back into the whites. I cut 6"x6" squares of tissue paper, and fringed two opposite edges on each, then wrapped the paper around the eggs, like a candy or a Christmas cracker.
 
Time to Complete: Ten minutes prep; under a half hour including cooking time.
 
Total Cost: Based on the price of eggs.
 
How Successful Was It?: Tasty and easy, except for the salt. The recipe gives a proportion for the flavoring (equal amounts mustard and black pepper, twice as much salt) but not how many eggs this covers. I just grabbed my smallest teaspoon measure (1/8 tsp), without reflecting that 1/4 tsp salt for three eggs would be excessive. Next time (there will be a next time!), I probably half the salt. Though I'd be tempted to make a 1:1:1 proportion of mustard and pepper, since those were not overpowering (the mustard was barely noticeable at all).

The paper worked best used in a double layer (looks nicer and came off easier), where a single layer started sticking to the egg while not holding the halves together nicely. I'd be tempted to try parchment paper next time (especially if anyone other than me is potentially eating them).
 
How Accurate Is It? As noted, the proportion of salt/pepper/mustard to egg was not given, and thus a guess. I also was speculating on whether the eggs should be cut along the short or long axis, though something about the wording made me think the short axis was meant (even if the story/recipe treats eggs as spherical). 

Stuffed eggs.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!