Saturday, November 12, 2022

Woven garters

I intended these woven garters for 16th century use, though the pattern's actually taken from a later (albeit undated, American) antique band in Handwoven Tape. Two-tone checkerboard pattern, repeated once for a total of 24 warps. I used leftover wool yarn out of my stash, and hand-plied the finer green yarn to make it the same diameter as the white.


I put off posting these because I'm not really satisfied with the result. The tension was never quite where I wanted it, so I got less draw in, and wound up with wider garters than I can tie easily. And I made a mistake in the warp measurement, leaving the second garter almost 8" shorter than the calculated length, and making it very difficult to tie.

There's always some use for woven bands, so this project isn't a complete waste, but I really do need to get some workable garters for my pre-19th century attire.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!