Sunday, August 29, 2021

HFF 5.3: Keep It Simple


The Challenge: Keep it simple.

The Recipe: Squash, another way (stewed) 

The Date/Year and Region: New York, 1866

How Did You Make It: Peeled one butternut squash, removed the seeds, and cut the squash into pieces. Boiled the squash until soft, then stewed it in butter with parsley, nutmeg, salt and pepper.

Time to Complete: ~30 minutes total

Total Cost: $0 [Was gifted a squash and needed to do something with it]

How Successful Was It?: Perfectly palatable. I'm not sure how often I'll make this, but it's a nice little recipe for when I have squash to use, or need another vegetable-based side dish for a dinner.

How Accurate Is It?: It's certainly simple, so the most I can say for accuracy could be improved by using appropriate heirloom squash. [Which I certainly tried to grow this year, without success.] I ended up making this a second time before posting it, using an unknown-variety of squash, and cooking it on a period-style woodstove. Even without the nutmeg and parsley that time (pure oversight), it proved an adequate little dish.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!