Wednesday, July 15, 2020

HFF 4.14: Fresh Start

Detail of an 1850s painting showing a table laden with food, and a woman's hands holding a spoon over a dish.


The Challenge:  Fresh Start: Half-way through the year, make something 'fresh'. If you've fallen behind on challenges, take this as a chance to re-start.

The Recipe: Cucumbers in German Style from Mrs. Shaw's Receipt Book and Housekeeper's Assistant (page 61)

The Date/Year and Region: 1878, Portland, Maine

How Did You Make It: I did this one on a quarter scale (still cooking for one, and wasn't sure I'd like it).

I sliced half a cucumber and set the pieces to soak in white vinegar with salt. I forgot about it, so it ended up soaking for 8 hours rather than 1 hour. Fries the slices in ~1 Tbsp butter, added 1 Tbsp flour, then 1/2 cup broth; turned down the heat from medium to low, then added the yolk of 1 egg, and 1/8 tsp each of sugar, salt, and pepper, along with ~ 1/4 tsp of fresh parsley, then brought the mixture back up to a boil.

Time to Complete: Less cucumber curing time, about 15 minutes.

Total Cost: All items on hand, so unsure.

How Successful Was It?: Not successful. It tastes like vinegar. Hopefully this was just because the cucumber soaked too long, but...vinegar. It didn't even have even enough salt (or any dill) to make a nice pickle flavor. The sauce worked texture-wise (I had worried about the egg yolk), but it might have been a little bland. I honestly couldn't tell that for certain, because the vinegar-cucumber taste so predominated. I couldn't even decide if the combination of 'hot + cucumber' was too unusual for my tastes, because of the overwhelming vinegar.

The cucumber pieces got very soft as they cooked, so if I try making this again, I'll need to remember to be very gentle with stirring and plating the cucumbers. 

How Accurate Is It?: I'm still not entirely sure that the egg yolk was meant to be raw rather than boiled and crushed (as I've seen in a few salad dressing recipes), but by stirring it in fast while the broth was between boilings, it managed to get incorporated without leaving chunks of solid yolk in the sauce.

A purple transfer ware plate with round slices of cucumber in a yellow sauce.
German-style cucumbers, 1878


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!