Wednesday, August 8, 2018

Waistcoat, 16th Century

Blog backlog continues, because the universe conspires to ensure last-minute event sewing, but doesn't always allow time for photographing the results.

My Tudor kit, such as it is, is largely comprised of light-weight linen (being primarily used in August). Thus, my first June event fell on a cool, damp weekend, which saw me sewing a single wool garment by campfire-light, as the rain closed in.*

Tudor Tailor 16th Century Woman's Waistcoat
Waistcoat. It's actually a burgundy color.

The waistcoat pattern was drafted from The Tudor Tailor. I opted to include the wings, and the used the straight collar/cuffs. The material is a dark red wool from Pendleton, with a full lining in linen.  I used black size 2 hooks for the fastenings, inspired by the Amsterdam examples.

*I proceeded to wear the said garment next day (pinned close for lack of hooks), while helping start a new fire in the said rain.  A month and a half later, I finally managed to sew on the 12 hooks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!