Monday, May 29, 2023

Tablet Woven Band

Inspired by this video, I decided to break out the tablets and actually attempt a polychrome pattern. The design is a 8th-10th century eastern European pattern, which Lady Elewys conveniently wrote-up. In addition to the simple warp pattern (solid borders, are other cards the same, alternating S/Z), the appeal of this project was that all the tablets are moved together, and the same direction. When the warps get too twisted, you just start working the other direction until they're too twisted the other way. This was perfect for me, since I wanted an easy project that I could take to a Ren Faire, and work on amid interruptions, without need for notes.  

 

Band loom all warped up with 10 tablets.

I managed to finish the piece over one weekend, interspersed with spinning and netting and amusing children (who apparently love helping turn the cards).


Weirdly enough, the crewel yarn held up.

The single-strand crewel held up just fine as warp. It's a bit less tightly spun than I would have liked, but that's what I had on hand which came in multiple colors, was wool, and was the right size. I have ordered some 2/20 silk for next time.

Finished(?) band.

I had a thought of making this piece into garters, since my last pair ended up with the second band a hair too short to comfortably knot. To make sure there was plenty of warp of adequate garters, fringe, and the loom waste, I cut 3 yard warps. Exclusive of fringe, this gave me a 96" long piece of tape, so...that was successful. Now I just need to decide whether to cut and fringe two garters out of it (and a bit of left over), or have a really impressively long belt.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!