Wednesday, May 31, 2023

May Mending

This month's non-project sewing mostly involved altering bridesmaids' gowns, but I did finally put the last few stitches into my corded petticoat remake. Which was a good idea, since it's getting way too warm for the quilted one.

Also switched the buttons to ties on the new waistbands.

I started this petticoat with the intention to set it in stroked gathers (replacing the earlier gauging), but as it turns out I still hate sewing stroked gathers, so they became regular gathers after the first 4 inches. Gauging is easy, but something about lining up the waistband crease with the stroked gathers, and stitching into a poorly-defined sewing line just sets my teeth on edge. I cut a new waistband, and replaced the button and button holes with cotton tape ties.  I really like how they've functioned on my quilted petticoat and plaid petticoat, so I'm hopeful that these ties will also solve some minor annoyances I've had with buttons on undergarments before (wearing out the button-holes, compensating for size fluctuations, breaking buttons in the laundry). Admittedly, most of those incidents involved drawers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!