Friday, March 15, 2019

Winding Yarn

My irregular series on fiber crafting on a tight space/money budget, aka repurposing household objects. 

What to do when you have no umbrella winder to hold a skein? If you can't commandeer a nearby sibling, roommate or lover to hold it, try putting the yarn over the back of two chairs. 

Pros: no additonal equipment to buy; easily adjust for skein size by shifting chair positions; minimal snarky comments from voluntold assistants.

Cons: the chairs do not rotate, so you have to walk around them; does not provide fun commentary.


Two chairs placed back to back, a couple inches apart, holding a large skein of white around the backs.
Two chairs holding a yarn skein.

4 comments:

  1. Defintely been there! I also often have it draped over my legs with my knees as the center point if the yarn is reasonably well behaved. Whenever I don't have a helper, though, I usually wind up with weird clumps and so have to walk around the house trailing yarn to untangle. Which is a fun path to rewalk!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! I am putting this in my crafting hacks toolbox, for future reference.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've also use this method (chairs much farther apart) to measure out warp threads for weaving.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!