Friday, March 29, 2019

Two Pairs of Shoe Roses

While attempting to prepare some shoe roses for an upcoming Jane Austen event, I remembered just how much I hate working with satin ribbon.

I attempted to make the rosettes using knife pleats, but, as you can see, the ribbon just doesn't like holding pleats. Since I really wanted these rosettes to match the dress (which is trimmed in a wider version of the same ribbon), I tried a second set, made as constructed bows. While I really like the idea of a ribbon rosette, the satin ribbon really prefers the gentler curve of the loops to the sharp creases of the pleats.
Two rosettes of pleated ribbon, and two four-loop bows. Both are made of half-inch wide periwinkle blue silk satin ribbon.
Bows and rosettes.

The main material is half-inch wide blue silk satin ribbon from Nancy's Sewing Basket (the closing sale). The clips are from American Duchess. The rosettes are built on a round base of buckram, covered in cotton crinoline.

2 comments:

  1. Satin is a toughy. It is such slippery stuff.
    I had never encountered real silk satin ribbons until two years ago, when I bougth some to embellish a new wool 1860s dress. I was suprised by how soft they are. They are really drapey, but don't have much body, at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. I love tafetta ribbons, but they're hard to find, and often only available in narrow widths and extremely light weights. Next time, I'll try either a stiffened tafetta ribbon, or folded fabric strips.

      Delete

Thanks for commenting!