Wednesday, December 5, 2018

"Red" (Brown) Riding Hood

And finally: the Red Riding Hood. I've made it up twice before in red wool flannel, per the instructions (the first, alas, fell prey to moths). This time, I tried it in a brown wool that I had. The ties, and decorative back bow are made of narrow striped floral chintz, finished with a narrow rolled hem. I omitted the top bow, as I have since my first attempt at the hood, because it looks really awkward when worn, tending to flop forward. 


"Red" Riding Hood from Godey's, Jan 1862
Brown Wool Flannel Hood, With Chintz Ties and Bow

Two things I really like about how this one turned out are the fine stitches on the casings, and how neatly the narrow-hemmed chintz strips work as ribbons. I'm almost tempted to make more of them, if I can find a project in need of chintz 'ribbon.'

Godey's January 1862, Red Riding Hood Illustration
Red Riding Hood, Finished Illustration

The magazine illustration also takes an interesting liberty, presenting the bavolet much shorter than it is--per the second illustration, the distance between the two bows should be shorter than the distance from the lower bow to the back point.

Godey's January 1862, Red Riding Hood Cutting Diagram and Instructions
Red Riding Hood, Cutting Diagram and Instructions


2 comments:

Thanks for commenting!