Saturday, December 8, 2018

Hungary Water Variations

I made a few more batches of Hungary water a couple months back. One is the same "French and Much Improved Method of Making Hungary Water" from 1824, which I previously made. This time, I tried it without adding the alkanet at the beginning. The other I made by the same method, but using only rosemary without the sage, thyme, and lavender.  I've come across other allusions to Hungary water containing only rosemary, including the preceding recipe (which calls for an hour's soak and then distilling the alcohol-rosemary concoction), so I think this isn't entirely out of line.

The very complicated process:

Plants in mason jars of translucent yellow liquid.
1.Stick plants in alcohol, leave for a month.

Lavender, rosemary and sage leaves, faded to a sickly yellow-green color.
2. Remove plants.

Four bottles of varying sizes containing the yellow and orange-yellow liquid.
3. Profit.
The colors actually look nicer here: in real life, the plants in picture two are a lot more yellow, almost the color of store-bought pickle brine. The rosemary-only water (though smelling strongly of rosemary) is a very evocative clear, bright yellow. The mixed herb version is slightly more orange. I can absolutely understand why dyeing the liquid red with a little alkanet root is desirable, and I just might do so.

3 comments:

  1. Its still used in cosmetics, but Ive heard it as Queen Of Hungary Water. It was in one of the moisturizers LUSH sells. After checking, its in Skins Shangri-La and its the first ingredient!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry that post seems useless. I forgot to add that its Really Cool that youre doing these old fashioned remedies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I like to experiment. Now I just need a period still so I can really play with making my own lavender oil and rosewater...

      Delete

Thanks for commenting!