Thursday, November 9, 2023

Typical Tudor Smock

At long last, the seam finishes are done on my new 16th century smock. It's based on the smock variations in The Typical Tudor; this time I opted for a low square neckline and sleeves gathered into cuffs. The whole smock is made of the same mid-weight linen with (bleached) linen tape to fasten the wrists.

Smock.

The garment is mostly hand-sewn, though I did cheat with some machine sewing on the long gusset seam because I was rushing to have another wearable smock for Faire. It did debut on the final day, but with only half a hem and many raw seam allowances; most of the delay in photographing the smock centered on removing the Faire stains so I could finish all the felling. Two soaks with borax and wash soda got most of the dirt out, while spot-cleaning with bleach was needed for the sunscreen/sweat discoloration.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!