Sunday, November 1, 2020

Original: 1843 Silk

An off-white silk dress with faint stripe pattern. The skirt is floor-length and full; the sleeves full-length and tight; the bodice has a deep V neck and is arranged in a series of vertical tucks stitched flat near the waist and opening up towards the shoulders.
Silk dress c.1843, in The Met


I do like it when I find a dress that challenges my assumptions of an era. For instance, I generally dislike 1840s attire, from the overall droopy aesthetic (having spent too long in the floofier 1850s) to the tight sleeves (which do not flatter me), to the way the bodice fullness is handled over the bust (which can get very awkward). This dress, however, has really lovely clean lines which show off the silken sheen to perfection.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!