Sunday, September 29, 2019

Chemisette, c. 1855-60

Three years after throwing this together (and hating the way it fit), I finally finished this chemisette. That is, Elise fixed the shoulder fit issue in a minute of pining, so I finally persuaded myself to finish the remaining edges, stitch the collar in place for real, and add the lace.

Chemisette.

Tuck and lace details.

Fine cotton 'muslin' (pimatex lawn if I recall correctly), with lace from Cotton Lace/Fine French Laces, and twill tape waist tie. All hand-sewn, because I'm crazy it's for wearing with an open 1850s dress (at a site that didn't get a sewing machine until 1862).

Inspiration for the tucked front comes from a chemisette in Patterns of Fashion 1 and this mid-century original in the Met.  The lace-edged collar in conjunction with a tucked front occurs in this c.1860 original and another one, though the lace interspersed with the tucks was my own fancy (example of lace down the center front and along the collar).

2 comments:

Thanks for commenting!