Wednesday, May 15, 2019

Wimple Wednesday: 16th century headrail

Now in the 16th century--it's the 36" square of linen, again, knotted over the hair (which has been braided in two bunches and wrapped around the head).  I like how this style of rail keeps my hair neat, off my neck/face, and clean from all the dust at Faire. I've honestly kept my hair up for a 12+ hour day with only one hairpin thanks to the headrail (and the linen strips on my braids).

The author wearing a linen kerchief over her hair--the square linen is folded diagonally into a triangle, the hypotenuse laid over the brow, and the adjacent corners crossed behind and tied over the head.
Managed it this time without any pins!

This design is from The Tudor Tailor by Ninya Mikhaila and Jane Malcolm-Davies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!