Friday, May 4, 2018

Local Color

I came across this in my reading, and now really want to see someone reproduce the cart Rev. David Blaine made for his infant son:
 “I made him a little cart when we were in Portland, worth about $20.00. The wheels are just large buggy wheels and painted red with black stripes. The box is shaped like a shoe, long enough for him to lie down in and bundle up, and is painted sky blue. I have the material for a top but have not put it on. It will have three bows to be covered with enameled black cloth. The top will be fixed to fall back like a buggy top. I have no boy to draw it, so I have to be the horse myself. Johnny is very fond of riding.”--Letter to Seraphina (sister), Jan. 8, 1857.

In Letters and Papers of Rev. David E. Blaine and His Wife Catharine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!