Sunday, November 5, 2017

Quilted Petticoat, Part 2: Seams

After quilting the panels this summer, I finally started assembling the petticoat. First, I seamed up the panels.  This was slightly complicated by the multiple layers--I made the placket by folding in both fabric layers and top-stitching through them; the rest of the seam was made by sewing the print and batting right-sides-together, then folding the lining over the seam and stitching it down. 

Once the seam was done, I added a facing along the bottom of the petticoat.  This is just like the facing I put on my skirts, except that I let the facing go over the bottom edge, as with the inspiration petticoat from Old Sturbridge Village.

Reproduction mid-19th century quilted petticoat.
Quilted petticoat, hemmed and seamed.

Hem facing and diamond-quilting on reproduction Victorian petticoat.
Interior of petticoat with facing over the quilted lining.

Hand-sewn placket on reproduction quilted petticoat.
Placket.

Now, to finished the upper edge and gather it all on a waistband.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!