Friday, October 27, 2017

Cream Pie

Receipt #251, Cream Pie, from The Improved Housewife (Boston, 20th ed. 1855).

Cream Pie with nutmeg and raisins, from an 1855 recipe.
Cream pie: fresh out of the oven, and slightly out of focus.

Another off-season treat for the sewing party. I improvised (ie, didn't measure) a puff-paste for the crust, then made up the filling with 5 eggs, 2 cups of cream, 1/3 cup of sugar, 1/3 cup of raisins, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp mace, and about 1/3-1/2 of a nutmeg (freshly grated).  The flavor and sweetness worked well at these proportions, and the amount of filling very neatly filled the pie pan (it threatened to slosh, but did not). I cooked it for about 50 minutes at 350F; the pie was still a bit wobbly at that point, but solidified nicely at it cooled.

The raisins, about which I was skeptical, actually added a nice flavor/texture to the pie..  I found the texture somewhat unappealing (not soggy, but sufficiently reminiscent for my taste buds to rebel), but everyone else in the party loved it. I will definitely by making this receipt again for events.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!